Ask yourself these questions:
- What motivates me?
- What’s my purpose?
- How do I focus energy or how do I get people to focus their energy?
- What’s my picture of my future?
- What is it that I really do?
The power of a dream – chasing a compelling picture of your future – answers those questions. It creates the belief that great opportunities are ahead. It brings alive what is possible and why. It engages the heads and hearts of followers. It stirs our passion. It eliminates unimportant items off our calendar. Social psychologists say that we spend 90% of waking time gathering information and data to support two things—our past and our present, which leaves just 10% of our time to think about our future—and that’s where the magic lies. The truth is, we don’t usually get what we want, but we almost always get what we expect. Why? Because the ideas in our heads rule our world. We subconsciously move towards our most dominant thoughts and belief system; that big dream, the compelling picture of our future or big opportunity can actually move us from where we presently are, to a future place of more value; where we wish to be. Time and time again, I’ve witnessed the impact of big dreams on individuals and organizations. Whether it’s becoming the first man on the moon, the most compassionate hospital, the most service-oriented hotel or the world’s greatest athlete, people want to be called to something bigger than themselves.